Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sip With Caution

Going to the portside of my previous sherry post I wanted a recipe other than one using meat. I have just always used port wine in primarily meat dishes either as a marinade or a sauce accompaniment and I wanted a totally different medium for the bold, sweet, spicy spirit. Well I sure think that I hit a bulls eye with this find....come on, its cheesecake how bad could it be? I will confess right from the beginning that I have not made this yet, so I cannot honestly tell you if it tastes good........come on, its cheese cake and its a cheesecake that contains port wine of course it's good!
This recipe only uses a third of a cup of port wine, so there will be plenty left in the bottle to sip while waiting for your cheesecake to be done. Try not to get carried away with the sipping or my next post will be titled; "Human Marinated in Port Wine".......we wouldn't want to start exciting the cannibal population!

Port Wine Cheesecake

Crust:

1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. melted butter

1) Mix crumbs, nuts, cinnamon and sugar with melted butter. Place and press into a 9x13 baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Cheesecake Mixture:

2 lbs. softened cream cheese
6 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. Port wine
1 tsp. vanilla

2) In large bowl, beat all ingredients until smooth; make sure there are no lumps. Pour over crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes.

Topping:

1 1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

3) In a bowl mix together sour cream, sugar and vanilla and pour over cool cheese cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely. Decorate with walnut halves and strawberries and serve.

8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Well, you've really done it this time, Julie. You must know I will be hitting the bottle way before that cheesecake makes it to the oven.

I'm liking this concept mucho. Of course, I'd have to eat the whole thing myself and THAT could cause a problem. Gee, I wonder if it freezes well.

Thanks for sharing...

Julie said...

Cheesescake usually freezes very well louise....that is if there is anything left to actually freeze lol!

Wanda said...

This sounds divine, and is one I will certainly be trying very soon.
I have trouble deciding which of your recipes to try next, and I like your little stories that accompanies each recipe.
Just to let you know that we have nominated your site as our Blog of the Week and you can see the post at this link
http://www.only-cookware.com/blog/2009/10/15/blog-of-the-week-noshtalgia/

All the best
Regards
Wanda

~~louise~~ said...

Congrats on the nod Julie. You certainly deserve it.

Cheesecake never makes it in my freezer unless of course it comes pre-frozen from Junior's!!!

Julie said...

Thank you, Louise.

Julie said...

Thank you so much Wanda, what a lovely tribute.I am so glad that you enjoy my recipes and can relate to some of the stories that I tell. That was always my intent with Noshtalgia for it to become a place filled with good food and good memories.

Natalie said...

This sounds so divine. I always loving finding different types of chessecakes to make.

Julie said...

Thank you Natalie, enjoy.