Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

That Doesn't Taste Like A Tomato.....

Yes they do look an awful lot like tomatoes but that is definitely where the similarity ends. I think the flavor varies a little by variety but for the most part they taste like a spicy pumpkin, I mean spicy like cinnamon and clove.
In America we call them Persimmons but in Israel they are known as the Sharon Fruit. Persimmons have been historically labeled as the fruit of the Gods.
They can be eaten like an apple but their skin tends to be a little tough but is quite easy to peel.
I have tried persimmons at different times in my life and haven’t always enjoyed the experience. I think mainly because I may not have always had them at their proper ripeness. But those poor experiences have only been when eating them as is. I have always loved their flavor when used in recipes. I think one of the most common uses is a pudding which tends to be served as holiday fare for some families. But persimmons can be used in just about anything; “Breads, cookies, salads”. As far as the pudding goes I have heard people talk about many variations. One friend said that their family makes their persimmon pudding with corn meal rather than white flour. My family has never made persimmon pudding that I know of so I had to pick the brains of those around me and this is the recipe that I landed on, it is really quite good.

Persimmon Pudding

3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
2 cups persimmon pulp
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 stick butter,melted

Wash persimmons well, removing stem and force pulp through a colander. Beat together first four ingredients. Add persimmon pulp. Sift dry ingredients together and add to persimmon mixture. Stir in vanilla and butter. Bake in greased 9 x 13 inch pan at 300 degrees for 1 hour.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds lovely.
Persimmon's are difficult to find in the UK and when one can find them, they are usually small and bland. I used to love eating them in Japan though. Thought it was fun how the juice made the skin on my fingers shrivel! :)

Anonymous said...

this is a great idea. persimmons are plentiful right now in Japan (as Wendy knows!) but I never know what to do with them other than eat them plain! thanks!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Julie,
I grew up eating persimmons but never thought they would be good for cooking or baking - don't ask me why, I don't even know why I got that from. Maybe because I had never heard of a recipe calling for persimmons here in Brazil - the first time I saw one was in a foreign book. And then loads of other on foreign sites and blogs.

Julie said...

It is a very interesting fruit Wendy, I'm still learning about them.

Julie said...

Brianna and Dustin, I haven't learned to love them plain as of yet but I do like them in bake goods.

Julie said...

They actually cook and bake quite well patricia, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris said...

very cook! Thanks for the info! I was just looking at persimmons this weekend and thought about my lack of knowledge when it comes to them. This sounds great!

Julie said...

You are welcome Chris, they are a fascinating little fruit.

Anonymous said...

Persimmon Pudding? Sounds interesting.... I wonder if I can get my mum to give up her persimmons so I can make pudding out of them. ;)