Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Vegetable Conspiracy


I think we have all had that one vegetable in our lives that has taunted us. My father hated squash, my grandmother use to trick him and tell him they were whipped sweet potatoes so he would eat them. When my mother was little she hated lima beans and her mother having a sense of humor would often make her succotash (heavy on the lima beans)! My mother would try to fit them all in her napkin for fear she’d never be allowed to leave the table. For me it was carrots, I didn’t like them raw or cooked. I didn’t even like the smell and wouldn’t you know it, carrots just happened to be my mothers favorite. So guess what I got all the time? Even if buying “Swanson Frozen T.V. Dinners” she always managed to pick out the ones for me that had the little carrot coins as a veggie. Do you know how many Swanson Dinners had corn or peas as a veggie option?….I loved corn and peas.
But time goes by and people change and their taste buds change right along with them. Now my father loves squash, my mother likes, not loves lima beans and I actually like carrots; ‘raw, cooked, in stew and especially glazed”.


Glazed Carrots

1 1/2 lbs. fresh carrots
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
2 tbsp. butter


Scrape carrots and remove ends. Cut into lengthwise strips. Heat salted water to boiling. Add carrots, bring to a second boil. Boil 18 to 20 minutes. In a 12” skillet put butter, brown sugar, orange zest and salt, add carrots. Cook over low heat until carrots are glazed and caramelized evenly, takes 7 to 10 minutes.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

this sounds yummy!

Arties32 said...

Hi Julie! I went through a phase as a young teenager when I used to make all kinds of things to stuff tomatoes with...tuna salad, chicken salad, etc. The last time was a few years ago when I stuffed one with cooked spinach, parm. cheese and water chestnuts and then baked it. You're inspiring me to try again- thank you!

Julie said...

Wow Arties, I am going to have to try yours. The spinach, Parm and water chestnuts sounds delicious.

Julie said...

Enjoy Rachel

Unknown said...

Julie, thank you for dropping by Oz Tucker. Nice to meet you. Love the title of your blog. I love Nosh and I love nostalgia. I also love glazed carrots - but have never added the flavour of orange will try this next time.

Julie said...

Thank you Miss Eagle