Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Trying to be more Flaxable


With all the talk about the benefits of flaxseed, I looked into it a bit and whether or not all the hype is true, it’s so easy to sneak into all types of food with really no effect on the foods taste or texture. I thought why not, it sure can’t hurt anything. Just keep your flaxseed in the refrigerator or freezer because they can go rancid.
Flaxseed seems to have a great deal of benefit in regards to diabetes and breast cancer, which my family has always had a high genetic risk for.
I even sprinkle a little on my veggies or put some in my yogurt, it’s really a very non intrusive way to do a little extra for ourselves.

Raisin Bran Flaxseed Muffins

1 cup quick oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup all bran cereal
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup flax seeds
1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1 cup of milk
1 cup raisins
1 cup water

Boil raisins in water for approximately 5 minutes; mix all other ingredients together. Add raisins and water to mixture, stir well and pour into greased muffin tin bake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
Makes 12 muffins.

5 comments:

Chris said...

You're good - I have had Flax Seed sitting in my pantry....doing nothing. I have to be better!

K and S said...

I've heard that you need to eat flax seed that is ground otherwise your body won't absorb it. These muffins look wonderful!

Julie said...

Trust me Chris as much as I try to be better about healthy stuff, I still have a long way to go.


K&S that is good to know about the ground flaxseed, I also heard that the golden flax is suppose to be better than some of the others. So much to learn.

Wendy said...

Nice idea. I'm trying to incorporate flax seed into my diet at the moment.
Have you tried flaxseed oil? If not, don't! It tastes like cod liver oil and cannot (as the label tried to tell me) be drizzled over most foods. Yuck!

Julie said...

Hey Wendy, thanks for the heads up on the flaxseed oil. My mother has always told me horror stories about her mother wanting to give her cod liver oil by the teaspoonful because it would be good for her.