Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

My Grandmother's Cold Stuffed Tomatoes

When I was little this was a favorite grandmother, granddaughter lunch. These days it’s not as easy to find the really huge beefsteak tomatoes she use to get but any size or variety will do. The tomatoes she got from the public market when I was growing up were almost as big as the plate she served them on. She would cut them in wedges but not all the way through so she could spread the tomato open like a flower. It looked so pretty, and then she would fill them with; “egg salad, cottage cheese, tuna fish or crabmeat salad. These were really filling so we didn’t really need anything else other than a beverage. I loved those grandmother, granddaughter lunches.

You will need tomatoes, (the bigger the better) if it is a good size tomato one will do for a serving, If they are smaller I would do two or three per person. You can prep your tomatoes anyway you like to hold the stuffing.


1 (8 oz.) pkg. of imitation crab meat
1/2 c. thinly sliced celery
1/3 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. minced onion
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Combine crab meat and celery in a bowl, mix in mayonnaise and onions; add salt, pepper and lemon juice. Chill for at least 2 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jules this brings me right back to when i was a little girl with my Grandmother as well. Cherished memories that will never fade. The smells alone of certain foods still brings me right back to child hood. Thats the meaning of comfort food to me.

Julie said...

Chrissy, I couldn't agree more.