Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Ice Cream Melt Down

When the nice weather hits there is nothing I enjoy more than going out for an ice cream. Whether it’s a sundae, cone or shake, I’m a happy camper. Well, I do believe I went a bit overboard yesterday. In the afternoon while out and about doing some errands, my friend says;” do you want to go to Starbucks and get a coffee”? I replied; “actually I’d rather have an ice cream”. That sounded good to my friend as well, so we went to a place called Bruster’s. My friend had a brownie sundae and I had a double scoop waffle cone with peach ice cream and blueberry cobbler ice cream, it was heavenly. But wait, it gets better….later that evening a couple friends called and asked if I’d like to go for a drive and maybe a bite to eat, I said sure. Wouldn’t you know it, my friend just happened to hear about a new ice cream place we just had to try…so we did. My friend’s choice was very daring, she ordered a waffle cone with cotton candy ice cream, then had them dunk it in a bright green key lime dip, it looked very pretty. Her husband had a traditional vanilla chocolate twist……now let’s get to me, the person who just had ice cream barely four hours earlier. I cannot believe I am admitting this; I had another double scoop waffle cone. This time with pistachio almond and vanilla cherry ice cream (you had to see all the whole cherries popping out of this thing). Wait, there is more to this gut expanding story. After all this ice cream, guess what we did next? Went out to dinner of course, a nice little Italian place the food was wonderful.
I think today I’ll just have a salad!

Healthy Day After Salad

1/2 to 3/4 head lettuce, shredded (or mixed with Romaine, curly endive, spinach)

1/2 c. thinly, sliced celery
1 c. chopped or grated carrots
3 or 4 green onions with tops (sliced)
May add any additional fruit or veggie that you like.

DRESSING:

1/4 c. oil
3 tbsp. white wine or tarragon vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (or omit)
1/4 tsp. pepper or a dash of Tabasco
Add a bit of oregano and/or minced parsley, if desired.

Combine ingredients for dressing and pour over salad about 5 minutes before ready to serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bruster's has GREAT ice cream!
Love your blog & great recipes!

Julie said...

Thanks Liz, They really do have good ice cream.