Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Cheery about Cherries



It's that time of year again! It’s cherry season, one of my favorite times. Growing up we had a cherry tree in the back yard that had the biggest, plumpest deep burgundy purple cherries. My friends, family and I would just climb the tree, pick a limb to sit on and eat those sweet juicy cherries until our stomachs hurt. We pretty much ate the cherries straight from the tree but the one thing we did like to make with the cherries was a “Clafouti”. Clafouti is a custard like dessert, it is basically a fruit (typically cherries) baked with an almost pancake like batter.
From what I have read apparently the French say you should never remove the pits from the cherries when making a Clafouti, they say leaving the pits imparts more flavor. I couldn’t agree more, I am sure that it does in the same way that bone-in meat imparts more flavor to the meat versus a boneless cut. But, I really like my teeth and would prefer not to crack them on a cherry pit, so I opt to take the pits out before making this recipe. That part is totally up to you.

Cherry Clafouti

1 lb. fresh sweet cherries or 1 can dark sweet cherries

1/2 c. sifted unbleached flour
2/3 c. sugar, save a tablespoon to sprinkle on top before baking
Pinch of salt
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c. milk
3 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled

Wash and dry fresh cherries, or thoroughly drain canned cherries. In large bowl combine flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the salt. Add eggs, blending thoroughly with wire whip or wooden spoon. Add milk and melted butter, stirring until mixture is quite smooth. (Do not beat.) Butter a 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp. of the remaining sugar. Spread cherries on bottom; pour in batter.
My apologies to all, I didn't even realize I had left out the cooking time and temp. Thank you anonymous for making me aware of that so I could correct it.
The oven temp should be 350 degrees and baking time is about 30 to 35 minutes.
Once again sorry for the accidental omit.





13 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Ooh! Another great cherry recipe...tis the season! I posted about cherries this week too :)

sra said...

I love the cherries you mentioned, we don't get them where I live, though. We get smaller, red ones. I do have some plums, maybe will use those to try out your recipe. LOL about liking your teeth, hence no pits.

Julie said...

You'll love this one Sognatrice a really easy way to bake using cherries.

sra this recipe will work fine with plums. You can use almost any fruit.

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, this looks so good. I love cherry desserts! Yummmmm

Julie said...

You'll really love this one JennDZ, it's like custard, bread pudding and cobbler all in one.

Chris said...

Yum! I love cherries! I just blogged about them within the last couple of weeks. This Clafouti looks tasty!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to make this. Can you give me temperature and cooking times for this recipe? Thank you.

Malaysian Delicacies said...

An easy dish Cherry Clafouti, and the things I can get here. Sure looks yummy.Will try one of these days.

Anonymous said...

I love your delicious recipe, could we publish it on our
Daily Recipe Blog?

We have every day a new recipe for: General recipes, Breakfast, Low Carb, Low Fat, Desert...
It would be so great to add yours!

Julie said...

Malaysian Delicacies you will love this.


Daily New, Please feel free to put this recipe on your daily food blog, that would be wonderful.
Thank you

Blog Intro said...

This blog has been Introduced. Rate and review it on BlogIntro.com!

Chef John said...

Looks great. This is my wife's favorite!! Thanks for posting.

Julie said...

Thanks Chef John and you are welcome