Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Spaghetti by Sophia


I had to share this recipe with all of you, I watched Sophia Loren make this on a talk show awhile back. I can’t tell you how often I make this; it is so easy and delicious. It’s perfect when having company; all you need is bread and a salad for a complete meal. You only need the stove to heat the water for the pasta.
I tweak a few things when I make this such as;” I use Farfalle(bow tie) instead of spaghetti. I also prefer to use boccacini (little mozzarella balls) instead of sliced. I also add a few different kinds of pitted olives. For a touch of meat try some thin sliced prosciutto”. But trust me, there is no need to change anything, it is great just the way it is.


Spaghetti con Pomodoro Crudo* (Spaghetti with uncooked tomato sauce) from "Sophia Loren Recipes & Memories" (GT Publishing). "

This is cool and refreshing, excellent for summer," says Loren. "Serve with chilled white wine."Makes 6 servings

1-1/2 pounds spaghetti
2 pounds tomatoes, not quite ripe, chopped
1/2 pound mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 medium red or Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pitted Sicilian green olives, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons drained capers
1/4 cup minced Italian parsley
10 to 12 chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly grated Parmigiano cheese (optional)

Cook the pasta until just al dente. While the pasta is cooking, place in a large serving bowl the tomatoes, mozzarella, onions, olives, capers, parsley, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the oil over and toss gently.When the pasta is ready, pour into a colander and quickly rinse it under cold water; drain well and add the warm spaghetti to the bowl. Toss to combine, remove the garlic if desired, and serve. Pass the cheese at the table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this cookbook but have never tried that recipe...I definitely will now. You make it sound so good and so easy.