Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Pickled Beets and Eggs with vidalia onions


A friend of mine turned me on to these years ago and I have been hooked ever since.
This is an easy version using canned beets. You can use fresh but it really isn’t necessary the canned taste just as good. They keep really well 2 – 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Makes a great quick side dish or add it to some mixed greens, the sliced eggs with the yellow yolk and ruby red whites make a beautiful salad.
My favorite way to eat them is with some chunks of blue cheese (I love blue cheese)
And believe it or not, beets and blue cheese go very well together.

Pickled Beets and Eggs W/ Vidalia or any Sweet Onion

1 (1 lb.) can beets (whole or sliced) drained, retain liquid
1 small to medium onion sliced and separated into rings (optional, but I like it with the onion)
1 c. vinegar
1/2 c. sugar(white, light brown or splenda) it’s up to you
3/4 tsp. salt
3 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
8 hard boiled eggs, shelled

Combine beet juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, cloves and cinnamon in saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes.
Put eggs and beets and onions in a plastic container that has a lid.
Pour hot liquid over beets, eggs and onions. Add a little water if needed to cover completely. Cover and store in refrigerator a day or two occasionally shaking the container so that the eggs color evenly. Then they are ready for you to eat and enjoy.
photo courtesy of Pockafwye/flickr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How super is this? Found two new ways with veggies thank you Julie for sharing, beets and zucchini are on the menu for tomorrow.
Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie, thanks to Mimi of French Kitchen in America I found you site and I love it. I will be a frequent visitor. I've already downloaded a couple of your recipes to try. I have canned beets from last year and I'm making the beet recipe this weekend.