Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Noodle Kugel


This is a really easy and inexpensive dessert to prepare. If you are fortunate enough to have a kosher deli in your area you can buy Noodle Kugel already made. It will cost a great deal more but worth it if you just don’t have the time to make it yourself.
There are many variations to this recipe; different fruits or spices etc…but this is the one I grew up with and to this day is my favorite. My second choice would be one I had with canned pineapple chunks in it instead of raisins.

Ingredients:

8 ounces medium noodles
8 ounces cottage cheese
3/4 cup sour cream or yogurt, or half of each
1 cup milk
1/4 cup honey (or to taste)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
1/2 cup raisins
Dash cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Cook the noodles according to package directions.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Grease an 11 x 14-inch baking dish well.
4. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, including the drained noodles. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, including the drained noodles.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until the top is golden and crusty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Kugel! My husband introduced to me years ago when we began dating although his family recipe is rather different from yours. Can't wait to try this variation...

Anonymous said...

I've never made this before...sounds and looks yummy.

Glenna said...

Julie, I really like your blog. You've made me want to try everything I've looked at! Thanks for the great recipes.