Welcome

I am constantly amazed at how animated and talkative people get when you mention food. The mere aroma of certain foods can evoke memories that transport us back to a special place and time. Food can bridge the gap between all ages, races and ethnicities.
Let's face it, the only thing that should ever come between people is a table and some serving bowls.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

De-Liver-ance

The one thing I always had trouble eating when I was younger was liver. Specifically beef liver. I loved chicken livers, especially when my mother made chopped liver just like what we would buy at the Jewish Deli. The majority of my family would actually crave liver and onions. For some reason just the smell would send me running the other way.
My mother and grandmother would always soak the raw beef liver in milk for a few hours or overnight before cooking. They said it would take away the strong odor and taste………yeah, right! I’d always try it, but just didn’t like it.
One day at my grandmothers house she said;” Julie I made a batch of cutlets, have some”. I love cutlets, so I said yes immediately. My grandmother made cutlets out of everything;” Chicken, pork, beef, catfish and tilapia, each one delicious. So as I was munching on the room temperature cutlet, which tasted fabulous by the way, my grandmother says;” I thought you didn’t like beef liver”? I don’t! Well you must like it, because that is what you are eating.
I was in shock, my grandmother tricked me……oh who cares, that was the best beef liver I ever ate.
I still to this day prepare my beef liver cutlet style but my tastes have grown, I can now eat plain old liver and onions with a smile on my face.

Beef Liver Cutlets

6 medium to large slices of beef liver

3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs (add some fresh or dried basil and parsley to the crumbs for extra flavor).
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper

In a shallow bowl mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Dip the beef liver in the eggs, then in the crumb mixture. Place the crumbed cutlets in the refrigerator until nearly time to serve. In large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook cutlets on each side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.

This can be adapted for use with any meat or fish. If using meat or chicken, pound between plastic wrap to flatten out and tenderize. No need to pound the liver or fish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LIVER!!!!!! I *heart* liver to the point where it's obscene. I haven't posted any recipes of it on my blog yet because I worry that it'll scare people away forever. But after seeing your post, I may just get bold enough to do it. The parmesan cheese and herbed bread crumbs give it such a fancy touch too.

Did your grandmother ever do the coating in a paper bag? Mine would pour flour and the liver into a paper poke (Pennsylvanian for grocery bag)
and shake shake shake. Whenever I'd hear that sound, I'd make a beeline for the kitchen.

Thank you for posting this, it's brought back some really good memories.

Butta Buns
buttabuns.wordpress.com